I find describing yourself to be a highly complicated task because a description appears as something frozen in time, something that doesn’t change. But we humans change constantly. The people we meet shape us, the decisions we make change us and everything that defines us can fluctuate. We are adjusting to the circumstances around us, so when asking yourself who you truly are you need to take a step back and think about the person you want to be, the person you maybe pretend to be and the person you are.
But enough philosophizing, here’s my frozen in time description:
My name is Stella, I’m 17 years old and I was born and raised on a small farm in the hill region Burgenland in Austria. Growing up with all kinds of animals I grew to love animals which is one of the reasons why I am a vegetarian.
My family background is a lil more complicated than “just Austrian”. My grandfather was born in Africa, he later came to Germany but my grandmother became pregnant when they were in the United States due to work. So my mom was born in America, but she grew up in Germany (she also identifies as German). My whole family on my dad’s side is from Austria though, so I am part Austrian and part German.
In my life I’ve moved and changed schools three times within Austria, and at the moment I live in Tyrol amidst beautiful mountains. Because I haven’t lived in Tyrol my whole life I don’t identify as Tyrolean, I think I simply identify as Austrian. But the mountains have definitely become my home over the years and I will miss everything about them when moving to Wales. So this might be cliché but I love skiing and hiking. Like I said, beautiful mountains n stuff.
When I was 11 I got a dog, his name is Jolly and he’s a Shetland Sheepdog (like a mini Collie). I absolutely love dogs (and cats), I’m that annoying friend that always makes a highpitched sound whenever they see a dog. My dog is what got me into photography, I started out taking pics of him with my phone, then with my mom’s old camera and at some point I had enough money to buy my own.
Photography, next to singing and handlettering, is my biggest passion and I also started videography and editing with professional programs sometime ago.
I found out about UWC when I was 13 years old, and I went through the whole application process twice since I didn’t even get into the final round when I applied with 15.
If you want to know more about my UWC journey starting at my application up to the call from the selection committee, you can read all about it here.
Since I don’t know how I want to structure this anymore, here are some more random facts about me:
- I’m a master procrastinator. I’m serious. Everyone you think of as a procrastinator? I’m probably worse. And yes that’s not really ideal for the IB so I’m hoping that I can get better until August 😀
- I’m very short and people usually think I’m younger than I actually am
- I have very long hair as you can see on the pictures and I am planning on cutting and donating it
- I’m an agnostic atheist
- My taste in music is all over the place, from electronic music with no vocals at all, to sad Ed Sheeran songs, to rap- I listen to a lot of different stuff
- I’m very passionate about preserving the oceans and educating people about all the different problems the marine ecology has to face
- I love to read books (thriller or fantasy; really corny chick-lit is my guilty pleasure)
- I loooove sunsets (sunrises too)
- When I listen to music I can’t help but listen to the lyrics, if the lyrics suck I oftentimes don’t like a song
- I’d say I’m pretty emotional and sentimental
- I love the ocean
- I love to go diving but I don’t really enjoy to just swim (that may be a little contradictory lol)
- I like trainrides
- I can sleep literally anywhere and anytime. Doesn’t matter if it’s in the car, on the floor, if the light is still on (sorry mom), if it’s loud around me
- But I usually don’t get that much sleep because I do other stuff instead 😀
- Did I already mention that I love the ocean?